Attractions and Activities in Cherokee North Carolina
Planning a vacation in Cherokee, North Carolina? There are lots of great attractions in Cherokee, the home of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Come to this beautiful place, nestled in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains, to enjoy fun family activities, outdoor activities, games at our world-class casino hotel, or to learn about Cherokee culture and the history of the Tribe.
Outdoor Activities in Cherokee
The mountains, valleys and streams of Cherokee have become a playground for outdoor enthusiasts of all varieties. Hiking, mountain biking, road cycling, fishing, swimming, horseback riding, rock climbing, kayaking, tubing, golf and waterfall hunting are some of the most popular outdoor attractions.
Informational Resources for Cherokee Outdoor Attractions:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: The most popular National Park is in Cherokee’s backyard.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: There are plenty of hikes, picnic opportunities and fishing locations right off the Parkway at Cherokee. Plan an overnight stay in Cherokee when you begin or finish a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway, America’s Favorite Drive.
- Fish Cherokee: Anglers are discovering our secret. Some of the best trout fishing in the U.S. is found in the thirty miles of clean, beautiful, trout stocked waters that flow through Cherokee. And since Tribal waters are open all year, that means fishing provides year round attractions, including frequent fishing contests with prizes up to $10,000! Order your fishing permit today.
- Sequoyah National Golf Club: Idyllic 18 hole course filled with breathtaking views of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Cultural and Historical Attractions
Visitors love the cultural and historical attractions in Cherokee, North Carolina. Hear legends and tales from the incredible 11,000 year history of the Cherokee tribe. The mission of the Cherokee Historical Association is to “perpetuate and preserve the history and culture of the Cherokee People.” To accomplish this mission they operate two of the most popular attractions:
- "Unto These Hills": An unforgettable outdoor drama that tells the story of the Cherokee through the Trail of Tears.
- Oconaluftee Indian Village: Go back in time when you visit this recreated Cherokee village from the 18th Century.
- And you simply must not miss one of the most amazing places to visit in the Qualla Boundary: Museum of the Cherokee Indian.
Shopping in Cherokee NC
Qualla Arts & Crafts Mutual is one of the shopping attractions that should not be missed. Shop for authentic arts and crafts, handmade by Cherokee artisans using ancient techniques: pottery making, basket weaving, beadworking, silversmithing, tool making, doll making, and toy-making.
For other great shopping attractions in Cherokee visit the Cherokee Chamber of Commerce.