Bring Your Kids to the Talking Trees Children’s Trout Derby (It’s FREE)7.24.2019
This August 2–3, 2019, introduce your kiddos to a love of fishing at the 18th Annual Talking Trees Children’s Trout Derby in Cherokee, NC. This is a free fishing event for children ages three to 11. Throughout this two-day event there will be fun entertainment including face painting, balloon animals, and more. On Saturday, August 3 enjoy hours of fishing fun with a chance to win awesome prizes!
Each child who registers for the Talking Trees Trout Derby will receive the following, for free:
- A fishing pole
- A jar of bait and a tackle box (while supplies last)
- Breakfast and lunch on Saturday
- 4 hours of fly-fishing (with a 5 trout limit)
- Chance to win prizes (up to $20,000 awarded on the second day)
The Talking Trees Trout Derby is one of our most beloved annual events for children in Cherokee. Make sure that you pre-register your child on Friday, August 2, so that they can enjoy all the festivities of the event.
All About Registration (Friday, August 2)
Registration for the Talking Trees Children’s Trout Derby takes place on Friday August 2, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Cherokee Fairgrounds at 545 Tsali Blvd. Registration guarantees your child will receive free fishing items if you are in line by 8 a.m. on Saturday. No tickets are given out after 10 a.m., so make sure you line up early! To kick things off on Friday, a casting class will be offered so that kids can practice before the big event on the Oconaluftee River on Saturday.
Trout Derby Details (Saturday, August 3)
The Talking Trees Trout Derby takes place at the Oconaluftee Islands Park on Saturday, August 3, from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event is accessible for all kids, and special assistance will be offered to children with disabilities.
(Photo by Brandon Carter)
- Participating children must register for the event.
- Children must be PRESENT to register.
- No tickets will be given out after 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Parents or guardians must fill out a registration form and liability waiver for each child.
- You can bring your own bait and tackle but only single hooks are allowed (no treble hooks).
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed.
- No pets. Service animals are allowed.
- Parents can’t help their children fish (official spotters will be present to help).
What to Bring
- Water-friendly shoes and clothing
- A cooler for fish
- Folding chairs
Cherokee Fair Grounds and Oconaluftee Islands Park
545 Tsali Blvd.
Cherokee, NC 28719